WE’RE A TRIPLE THREAT
Socio-economic responsibility is an ethical framework that suggests an entity, be it an organization or individual, has an obligation to act for the benefit of society at large. NLS Welding & Contracting Inc. voluntarily considers its impact in this socio-economic context and strives for relationships that are based on transparency, mutual respect, and trust, to achieve this commitment. Our sphere of influence is based on a triple threat… People, Planet, Profit.
WE FOSTER RELATIONSHIPS AND OPPORTUNITIES WITH INDIGENOUS PEOPLES
NLS recognizes that Indigenous people are the nation’s fastest growing human resource. This upwardly mobile labour force requires opportunities for training, skills development, and employment. NLS is proactively developing and increasing the opportunities for employment for Indigenous people across all projects by:
- Recruiting Indigenous people
- Providing summer and temporary employment
- Collaborating with companies and organizations to enhance opportunities for Indigenous workers
- Developing an Indigenous element in our orientation and supervisor training programs
- Creating opportunities for Indigenous workers to develop skills, gain experience, and grow with the company
NLS Welding & Contracting Inc. is also recognized for its participation with the Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technologies and the Gabriel Dumont Institute of Native Studies and Applied Research, employing skilled individuals who have completed the Welding Applied Certificate Program.
Indigenous people across Western Canada will further enhance our ability to manage business through all economic cycles and create a thriving, diversity-rich business climate, as outlined by our Indigenous Policy in our Health & Safety Manual.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER
NLS values itself as an equal opportunity provider. Be it, gender, race, ethnicity, or age, everyone and anyone is given a nondiscriminatory opportunity to excel in the positions they hold, or could potentially be hired for. Diversity is our vision, and we believe our differences are our legacy’s advantage.
WE HIRE LOCAL
NLS recruits and maintains on file an extensive number of Journeyman and Apprentice welder, pressure welder, pipefitter, crane operator, and millwright positions and resumes. These numbers allow us to target multiple people in nearly every area we work. We aim to hire locally on every project; as well as, commit to using local services. We have a wealth of talented people in Western Canada. Working with them puts something back into the local community.
- Helps build relationships with the community
- Increases the sense of community involvement
- Creates an accessible network of talent at our fingertips
- Boosts the local economy
- Generates higher workplace morale
- Receive better quality service
- Ensure tax dollars are invested back into the local community
WE SOURCE LOCAL TO KEEP US GREEN
Hiring local also helps our planet. It reduces our environmental impact when we commute shorter distances to the job site. A greater percentage of local workers leads to shorter commutes, and an increased ability to walk, bike, or take public transit. The result is a reduction in air pollution, including greenhouse gases.
When we source our supplies locally (within 100 km of a jobsite), the distance heavy equipment is needed to travel is dramatically reduced. We also decrease emissions by keeping the lines of communication open to utilize vessels of transportation that may be headed in the desired direction, rather than using hot-shot services to get the job done.
WE ARE ENVIRONMENTALLY MINDFUL
Being environmentally conscious is important to us and to our clients. We believe in a proactive approach to environmentalism and being accountable for our carbon footprint. We commit to protecting our valuable resources by:
- Ensuring spill kits are available in each piece of equipment, at all times
- The use of spill trays at the point of transfer when refueling and for all stationary and parked units
- Maintaining equipment with an exemplary preventative maintenance schedule, put in place to prevent potential leaks and damages, ensuring cleaner burning equipment and less harmful emissions
- Instating an idling policy in our Health and Safety Manual, that is regulated according to the outside temperature
- Recycling everything from paper to batteries, and pop bottles to used oil and even metals
- Use of cleaner burning engine oils in all of our units
- Respectful of maintaining the integrity of the terrain in which we work
WE SUPPORT THE LOCAL ECONOMY
We source and hire local in an effort to help boost the local economy. By purchasing supplies local to the jobsite, we help these communities increase their financial gains, and inflate their supply and demand market. It also ensures tax dollars are being invested back into the local community. Keeping members of the communities we work in employed helps diminish the impact of unemployment specific to that area, and generates a continuous commitment for the collective good.
WE GIVE BACK WHERE WE WORK
NLS Welding & Contracting Inc. takes great pride in giving back to the communities we live and work in. Giving back to communities that have fostered the growth and success of our company, is just a small way we can say thanks. The donations often help organizations that are overlooked, lacking funds, and on the verge of collapsing. NLS acknowledges and understands that it takes an entire community to come together to create success, and we want to help.